Three aircraft mechanics and a firefighter were recently hospitalized after exposure to carbon monoxide in a hangar at the Omar Bradley Regional Airport in Moberly, Missouri.
When first responders arrived, two of the men were unresponsive and the third man passed out shortly after. The men were immediately rushed to a local hospital for treatment. In addition, a Moberly firefighter was later taken to hospital for treatment due to carbon monoxide exposure at the scene.
Investigators were able to determine that all four men were exposed to carbon monoxide in the hangar. Right now, Moberly police believe that the source of the carbon monoxide was a heater inside of the hangar, but stated that it was too early to determine why the heater malfunctioned.
Carbon monoxide is a toxic, odorless gas that can be deadly when inhaled. According to the Federal Centers for Disease Control, nearly 20,000 people visit the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning.  Even in open spaces, exposure to toxic gases or fumes can be dangerous. Many Americans are exposed due to the use of alternate heating sources in their homes during the winter months. As in this case, these heaters could malfunction. However, safety measures such carbon monoxide detectors can be installed to help prevent unsafe levels of exposure.
When it comes to workplace safety as in this case, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is the regulatory agency to enforce safety standards on the worksite. For example, on a case handled by Phil Tatlow, Bollwerk & Tatlow represented the family of a deceased worker and we sued the job site owner, the employer, the Contractor and other Defendants for many OSHA violations for a worker killed by ingesting harmful fumes.
As a worker, you have a right to a safe work environment. If you are unsure whether you are exposed to unsafe work conditions, contact OSHA by either going to the OSHA Offices by State webpage or call 1-800-321-OSHA (6742). Your contact will be kept confidential. As an employee, it’s your right to raise a health or safety concern without retaliation from the employer.
If you work for a small business, suggest that your employer look into OSHA’s On-Site Consultation Program. It’s free and confidential, and the inspection conducted does not result in penalties for the employer, if hazards are found.
If you or someone you know was injured or died on the job while exposed to a danger in the workplace, call today to speak to one of our attorneys. Bollwerk & Tatlow has the expertise and resources to make sure you are properly compensated for you loss as a result of unsafe working conditions.
For more information on this topic, check out Bollwerk & Tatlow’s case results and blogs for:
1) Webb v. KCI Construction, Inc. and Coatings Unlimited, Inc. a wrongful death/negligence action against a General Contractor and Sub-Contractor for OSHA violations in the work place causing the death of our client’s husband/father due to exposure to toxic fumes (Listed under cases: Phil Tatlow obtains result in Confined Spaces Death)
2) Our blogs on:
i. Occupational Diseases, Enhanced Benefits, andii: Occupational Disease: Wrongful Death Case in Missouri Circuit Court.